Monday 6 October 2014

Solo Day Trip - Kawagoe

I was feeling light headed so I went to made some udon for supper before heading to bed last night. I love udon. I like the tenderness and the texture of udon that neither soba nor ramen can be compared with.

4th October 2014
Last weekend, I went to kawagoe, a city in Saitama prefecture. It was a much anticipated trip. I wanted to go to this place called "Little Edo" (小江戸) because they still kept the old buildings from the edo period, which I thought was extremely fascinating. There was a mix of modern society with ancient Japanese buildings and westernised clothing. It was peculiar because it felt as though I went through a time slip to the Meiji period, when there was an influx of western culture in Japan.

I went to visit a few temples around the vicinity. The main and perhaps more famous one was the Kitain Buddhist temple. The place was huge, and it was connected to the extant structures of the Edo castle. I got myself an fortune telling paper strips(おみくじ). I usually pray for the same things when I go to a temple, studies, health, safety, and success. Praying helps me to feel at ease a little more because I will feel that I'm being watched over and I'm not in this alone. I got a regular luck this time which isn't so bad.

4th October 2014
Omikuji

I stood in front of the information board, trying to figure out how to get around the place, a friendly old man came up to me. He told me that my bag was opened. I didn't hear it the first time because I had my earpiece on. I felt so embarrassed and said 'thank you' to the old man. He then continued to ask me if I was going around taking photos. I was wearing my camera around my neck, one hand holding on to it. Since I'm not a professional photographer, I just smiled and nodded a little, telling him that I'm just a beginner. He gave me some tips on taking photos and showed me some of his photos. I thought his photos were brilliant.

I always get so intimidated when a stranger talks to me. I wish I wasn't so intimidated so I could have a better conversation with that old man. I felt my japanese failing on me at that moment. Nonetheless, it definitely made my day. I felt so motivated for the day. It was a good way to start off my day trip.

I paid a little fee of ¥400 and went in the castle exhibit. The place was beautiful. There was also the garden place, and the toilet that Tokugawa Iemitsu used. I was in awe when I was touring around the place. The wooden flooring and architecture was brilliant. I really wished I was born during that era so I can actually feel how everyone was like. The creaking wooden flooring, the sliding of the door... Taking a walk around the garden within the house..... Sometimes, I feel like I was born in the wrong era.

I went back home during the late afternoon because I was pretty exhausted after walking around. I almost went to a starbucks cafe at the station to do my work, which I totally regretted not doing so because if I did, I'd probably had finish some work. I have too many distractions back at home. I'm glad I'm receiving good comments on my photos, since I'm still a beginner. My first official camera that I own currently is only one and a half years old. I also only officially started using it more a few months ago.

I had a mini photoshoot amidst writing this post because I got inspired by a song I was listening to, called "You are the moon" by The Hush Cloud. The song didn't catch my attention all this while when I was listening to it until moments ago. I love emo ballad songs. Something must be wrong with me. lol.

Love, C.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting! I really need to take another trip to Japan!

    ReplyDelete