Sunday 5 April 2015

Spring break = Hanami

Hanami - 花見
4th April 2015

Hey there! It is currently spring in Tokyo, Japan. I've completed my finals and it's the start of the spring breaks! (hooray!) Since my first year in Japan, I had never went to a hanami or visited the parks to look at cherry blossom trees. Even after I entered college, I didn't have to chance to do hanami with my friends either because I have finals during the time sakuras are in full bloom. I couldn't understand the hype about Spring. I couldn't understand the beauty of cherry blossoms/Sakura. But, this year was different. I felt the beauty of sakura in Japan and understood the meaning behind Hanami. I think I'll probably never understand the meaning behind hanami and cherry blossoms in Japanese culture if I had not done a research about cherry blossoms for my cultural anthropology class. It's definitely something I'd recommend people to do if they are in Japan during this period.

For the past few days, I've been visiting the park and joined in with the Hanami activities with the locals. The view was magnificent! I love it when the wind blows and the sakura petals starts drifting down to the ground. It's just like the scenes from animes. No, it was better because I was there in person to witness it.

***

I've also officially completed my Spring semester for college. I'm now down to my last final semester which begins in May. Congrats to my lovely friends who graduated in this semester! I'll see you guys during the graduation ceremony!

Since I was so busy last semester, I didn't have a chance to write about my trip to a tropical greenhouse with my fellow photography club members. Never fear, I've made a video about it! I'm not in the video because I was busy filming so... Yeah! If you enjoyed it, please give it a thumbs up. :)



Until then,
Good bye.

PS: I'd recommend anyone who's interested about Sakura and its symbolic meaning in Japanese culture to read this book. It was an interesting read.

No comments:

Post a Comment